Here at Sitio Galeria Murielle cooks very healthy, vegetarian meals, but I had one little request for her. I’ve always wanted to know how to bake madeleines, a traditional French cookie. Murielle used to bake and sell madeleines here in Pirenópolis. It turns out they are originally Polish, not French! But the French are famous for them.
Madeleines are very simple to make, there are just two secrets to success. First, you need a madeleine mold, these cookies have a shell shape. Murielle has a traditional metal mold, but now-a-days you can pick up silicone molds that the cookies will never stick to. The second secret, excellent quality butter!
Medeleines du Joёl Robuchon
- 200 gr unslated butter
- 200 gr confectioners’ sugar
- 80 gr flour
- 6 egg whites
- 1 TB honey
- Flavoring of choice: vanilla extract, ground almonds, lemon zest, etc…
- Butter, flour and place your madeleine molds in the fridge.
- Sift the four and confectioners sugar into a medium bowl.
- Melt butter, let cool.
- Beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff and white.
- Combine eggs with flour mixture, then mix in butter. Add any flavorings.
- Pour enough batter to reach the top of each madeleine mold and place in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Bake for 15 minutes in a medium hot oven. During the 13th minute open the oven door to let a rush of cool air in. Madeleines should be pale yellow in color and should have a spongy, fluffy texture.