I love this recipe because you can make a 4 layer cake with it easily and it’s actually relatively healthy!
Vegan Chocolate Cake
Adapted from PCC Natural Markets. Makes 2 9-inch cakes that can be cut in half.
- 5 cups flour (can even sneak in up to 1 cup alternate flour!)
- 3 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 4 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 TB red wine vinegar
- 1 TB vanilla extract
- Oven to 350°F. Grease two 9 inch cake pans and line with parchment paper.
- Mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately.
- Combine wet and dry mixtures. Whisk to get rid of lumps.
- Pour into prepared pans evenly.
- Bake for 40 minutes to 1 hour, rotating 1/2 way through baking. Might want to set each pan on a baking sheet 1/2 way through as well.
- Remove from oven and separate cake from pan with a knife. Let cool completely in pan.
- Carefully remove cakes from pans. Even out tops and cut in half to make 4 layers.